Sunday, June 12, 2011

Gastric bypass surgery scheduled for Friday

Say goodbye to my hearty recipes. Brazilian BBQs, all-you-can-eat pizza or sushi restaurants, big pousada breakfasts – soon to be just a memory.
On Friday I am scheduled for elective gastric bypass surgery.  By sometime after noon on Friday my stomach will be cut and stitched down to the size of a shot glass.

Just last night I ate three pieces of a fabulous cauliflower, leek, sun dried tomato pie.  The sun is setting on that reality.  In a month or so I will again be able to eat whatever I like, but the portion size will be a fraction of that three-slice indulgence.
It’s time.  I have been on one diet or another for the past 35 years.  I like to say that I was skinny for about 15 minutes in 1999 and met Luiz. Lucky me.  Since then I have been heavier every year (unfortunately).
The decision is made. I’ve spent the past 6 months taking multiple tests, consulting a psychologist, nutritionist and physical therapist. The insurance company has finally signed off (although they have five more days to screw things up). I am preparing for surgery with specific exercises.
Wish me well!
Here is a video that briefly explains the procedure.

No comments:

Post a Comment