Monday, February 22, 2010

Teaching English

While I now find myself teaching English as my line of work, I was never very good at the rules of grammar, etc. behind the English language. I certainly never got formal training in teaching English. But I've got a pretty good ear for what's correct. More important for my job prospects, I am a US-born native speaker – with a valid work permit. Somewhat rare here.

I get a chuckle when I see things in the English text books or on the walls in the classroom that are incorrect, in my humble opinion.

For example - there is a list of basic phrases taped to the wall in every classroom at FISK. Among them is the ever popular "Can I drink water?" Huh? I like to tease the students when they ask this and say "I don't know, CAN you? Are you able to drink?" Teachable moment...

I especially like it when I see errors in the advertisements for English language schools. Check out this billboard.



It appears the little girl has lips. I assume they function properly. She probably CAN give the boy a kiss, but will she?

The other one that drives me nuts is the use of the phrase: “Do you have any doubts?” or “Teacher, I have a doubt.” Questions – do you have any questions? The professional educators at the highest levels of FISK use this expression. It’s more a literal translation from Portuguese, I think, or maybe it’s British English. Don’t know. But I point out to students and colleagues that through 19 years of school in the States I never once had a teacher ask me if I had any doubts (unless it was in a religion or philosophy class).

No comments:

Post a Comment