Monday, December 6, 2010

Brazilian sun - Gringo skin

Even with all the rain of late I am thinking about the hot sun.  Summer has kicked in.  When the sun is out it is STRONG.  Temperatures are up in the mid 30’s (low 90’s Fahrenheit).

Given our hustle-bustle lifestyle (NOT!), Luiz and I find ourselves at the beach quite a bit.  The sun’s warmth lulls us for hours; the cooling sea breeze conspires to keep us on the sand.  Even the largest of shade umbrellas is merely a pretext of sun safety.  Every sand crystal reflects penetrating solar rays, sneaking up into our shade oasis and nailing this gringo’s skin.

Sunscreen, hat, umbrella – forget it.  The only real strategy for skin protection is staying out of the sun (duh!).  But that’s no fun!

The good news is that after three years I have adapted enough that I no longer get heat rashes or flash burns.  Slowly but surely I get tanned, not burned.

No comments:

Post a Comment