Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Battle of the bugs

We need a refrigerated pantry.  I’ve been getting schooled about how to live in this heat and environment - schooled by tiny bugs.  They are letting me know that my flour, corn meal, farofa, pasta, spices, dried beans and rice need to be kept in the refrigerator.

Our pantry shelves are lined with jars full of dried goods and Ziploc bags containing opened bags of pasta, etc.  I thought we had been doing a good job keeping things fresh and sealed away from unwanted intruders.

Invariably I wind up tossing out the last of the rice, or the beans, or the pasta.  Bugs.

Unsolicited advice to folks moving to Brazil: buy the BIGGEST refrigerator you can fit in your kitchen.  You will need it to keep your spices fresh and to keep the bugs out of your dried goods.

Someone should invent a refrigerated spice rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment