Thursday, March 24, 2011

Why I blog

[Dove-tailing off of Rachel’s recent post.]
In the beginning I thought I would blog because it would save me from having to write 20 emails a week to my friends and family back in the States.  I could keep them informed without it being a big, laborious deal.
With a red face I am here to say that my friends and family did not care that much. I don’t get regular emails from folks “back home” who want to know how I am doing – it never happened. And when I sent them emails it was typically days or weeks before I heard back.  That’s just the fact of the matter.
Shame on me for thinking I would be a significant object of their attention – or a preoccupation, just because Luiz and I chose to leave town.  People’s lives are busy, things are complicated, they have a gazillion issues pressing to be priorities.  In general, we have not made the cut.
I don’t blame anyone.  We left them… How dare us to expect a primary place in their focus after we were gone? We had to grow up. We made our bed –and now we are sleeping in it. (Side note: I am SO GLAD we brought a quality mattress from the US!)
So why do I blog? I no longer do it for my family and friends. (Over the past three years I may have gotten one or two comments from family members.)
Blogging fills a social purpose. I have made online friends who also blog. Blogging gives me a chance to speak to the universe of potential readers in a way that may be helpful or amusing in some way. Blogging lets me think I have a voice in the world (no matter how miniscule). Blogging provides an English environment in which to spend time during an otherwise trying Portuguese-filled day. Blogging allows me to write – something I enjoy.
FaceBook has filled in for a lot of the daily chatter.  I connect with a lot of old friends there.  More so than via email.
But blogging has become a new adventure, a new platform, a fresh environment in which to make social connections.  This old dog has learned a new trick.
So far so good.  Thanks for being a part of this adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment