Thursday, January 20, 2011

I’ll do you if you’ll do me

Working as a team we expats can fill just about every gap. We have the knowledge and experience we’ve brought with us from our countries/cities of origin, and we have a broad reach across a diverse cross section of Brazil (with notable exceptions).

Among the bloggers I read are photographers, writers, bakers, teachers, naturalists, activists, physical fitness enthusiasts, parents, students, quilters, world travelers, philosophers, romantics and beach bums (uh, I think I resemble that remark!)

In our new home Brazil we now live in the mountains, by the sea, in urban areas and rural. Some of us walk to the grocery store, others drive, some take the subway, and some call for delivery. Some of us can get fresh fish, others fresh cheese and sausage.

By leaning on each other a bit we help each other through the down times and applaud each others’ achievements when things go our way. We even came up with an online virtual lending library to swap books written in English (which you are still invited to join if you like).

Here’s what I’m getting at. I want to thank you for helping me out when I get stuck around something (even when you don’t know it). And I will continue to try and be helpful in return.


Thanks for the items brought back from the States for Luiz and I (especially great soaps and corn tortillas!) Thanks for the tips on where to buy great shoes for less, or domestic airline tickets during a sale. Thanks for the cooking ideas and restaurant referrals.  Thanks for all the good humor.

The online expat community of which I am delighted to be a member (and which continues to expand) has been critical to my finding my way here in Brazil.

Be sure to let me know when and how I can return the favor.

(Oh, and does anyone know where I can buy rennet to make some goat cheese, or where I can buy a tofu maker? Thanks.)

No comments:

Post a Comment