Friday, January 6, 2012

The Legendary Starfy Review


Even though the series was Japanese-only throughout the GBA days, I was intrigued to see the series come stateside. However I decided to wait for a price drop, and then forgot it's total existence for awhile. My girlfriend got me this for Christmas so I was happy to take Nintendo's "new" series out for a spin.



While the game might share some similarities with the Kirby series, it's not a shameless clone. Starfy absorbs no enemy's powers, and swims rather than floats. The marine platforming is interesting to say the least, but yet the underwater gameplay at times makes you want to swim back to the surface and come back for air.


Starfy does many things right; it's cute, colorful, has fun levels, whacky bosses, and even 2 player co-op. However despite what it does right, it just never breaks the mold. Starfy feels like a basic platformer with decent levels that anyone can enjoy. That's all fine and good, but it doesn't hold a candle to the finest Kirby games out there. I know that's a rather unjust comparison, but I'm not exactly going to pre-order a sequel. 


Score: 7 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment